Hurrah - we made it to Victoria =)
Unfortunately, despite my best efforts at planning, I haven't got anything to knit tonight =(
I finished the pattern repeat on the first corazon mitten, and had even brought along my darning needle and printed out an illustrated tutorial on grafting so I could finish them this weekend.
What I failed to remember was that the corazon mittens use two sizes of dpns - smaller (3.25mm) for the cuff and top, larger (3.5mm) for the main body of the mitten.
I forgot to bring my smaller needles!!!!
This means I can neither finish the tops of the right nor start the cuff of the left =(
Having anticipated that I would probably come pretty close to finishing the corazons over the weekend, I did bring along a backup project - the squirrelly mittens.
These little guys are knit in 4ply, which I found pretty much impossible to locate during the week in anything but baby pastels.
On the advice of a kind lady at Lincraft I decided to knit up a swatch of a 5ply knitting cotton to see if that could be substituted.
I knew all along, of course, that this was highly unlikely, but still thought I would give it a try.
Before even finishing the cast-on I could tell that there wasn't going to be nearly enough 'give' in the cotton for mittens =(
So now I'm wishing I had been less rational in my yarn shopping and picked up the royal blue (the only non-pastel) and cream 4plys that I had considered getting 'just in case' - the idea of pastel green trees with a royal blue sky and albino creamy squirrels is more and more appealing!!
hmmmm, I think I'm gonna have to raid mum's stash for something (anything hehe)