Stained glass

Wow, I've been having some issues with photos - mostly that I couldn't figure out how the frak to get the pictures from the camera to the computer.
To be honest, I'm still not entirely sure what I did diffently for it to work but I'm not going to complain.

So now that I do have some pics I thought I'd share the recipe for the stained glass window biscuits.

I'll start off by saying that mum has been making these for years - I'm sure she made them while I was at home, and that is approaching 10 years ago - and this is a different recipe to what we used to use then (I'll be looking that up over Christmas, I think).
Over the past couple of years I've seen the same idea pop-up more and more, different each time.
This recipe is from a food magazine (Super Food Ideas) a couple of years ago, and is a very plain biscuit, leaving the sweetness to the lollies in the middle.
There's also a recipe in the Essential Christmas Cookbook (you know how I love those essential cookbooks!), and (if you're in Australia) the current (December) Australian Table magazine.



So, you need (for about 20 biscuits):
125g softened butter
1/3 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup golden syrup
1 egg
2 1/2 cups plain flouor
1/4 teaspoon bicarb soda
clear boiled lollies - These can be tricky to find. Sometimes you can get fruit drops, and last year I used some sugar free ones which worked fine. This year I got Starburst lollypops, and they're perfect - the colours are gorgeous and they taste delish!

Ready? Ok

With an electric mixer beat butter, sugar and golden syrup untill pale and creamy.
Add egg and beat util combined.
Mix bicarb and flour, then add to the butter, stirring until a soft dough forms.
Knead until smooth, then wrap and refrigerate for 30min.

Preheat oven to 180C.

Place lollies in ziplock bags (please remove yarn first!), a bag for each colour, wrap the bag in a tea towel and crush lollies with a rolling pin.

Split the dough in half, and roll out each piece between 2 sheets of baking paper to about 4mm thick, then cut out your Christmassy shapes and place on baking paper lined trays.



Cut little shapes out (little cutters are handy, but not essential - one year when I was in Denmark I managed passable freehand stars, and even basic circles/triangles/squares are going to look pretty) and spoon crushed lollies into the cutout area.

Bake biscuits for about 12 or 15 minutes, until the lollies are melted and bisuits are golden, then allow to cool on the tray for 5 minutes before moving to a tray to finish cooling.
They might look a bit bubbly when they come out of the oven, but will smooth out on standing.

Taadaa!



Now sit back, admire, be impressed with yourself and enjoy =D

besos =)

Comments

  1. I have a similar recipe in a Family Circle Christmas cookbook. I've always thought the boiled lolly thing was fascinating but have never made them.

    Yours look beautiful, and much nicer than Family Circle's attempts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bron they are so cool. I love them. I was intrigued by how you did it. I guess they come off the baking paper easily once they're cooled? I was imagining the lollies stuck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look delicious! I'm looking for some new recipes... does the lolly centre harden back into a boiled lolly consistency? Or does the centre stay sort of gooey/chewable? Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh I love the stained glass. Wil give it a try

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to try this recipe, as I tried the one in the family circle magazine but it was nearly impossible to keep the dough cool enough long enough to cut out neat shapes without destroying the cookie-to-be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a nice recipe. I especially like the colour that the lollies give.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Have a nice day =)