What a So Called broomhead

For a while now I've been admiring the My So Called Scarf pattern (ravelers check it out here).

I bought some Lincraft Veronica on Saturday (its so lovely and thick and smooshie), then spent Sunday trying to decide on the right needle size to give me the nice thick warm fabric I'm after.(incidentally, I tried everything between 5mm and 10mm, then went with 7mm, which were of course the only size I didn't have, so I had to pick some up yesterday).

So there I was, last night, with my smooshie yarn and my 7mm needles, and a 2 row repeat pattern.

The first row looks kind of something like this:
Row 1: K1, *sl 1, K1, yo, psso, K1*
(you knit into the back of the slipped stitch on the way over)

Do you think I could figure it out?
For some reason I kept getting a funny rib, rather than the firm tweedyness I was looking for.

I must have ripped it out and restarted 7 times before I finally did a search on Ravelry to see if anyone else had the same problem.


That's when I noticed that the first row actually looks more like this:
Row 1: K1, *sl 1, K1, yo, psso* K1
eeeek - I was adding a K1 after each psso =s

What a broomhead!!!

Now that I've got the stitch pattern down its going great guns ;)
The pattern is really very clever - the criss-cross pattern is created by the slanted decreases psso on the knit side and P2tog on the purl side, but by knitting into the back of your slipped stitch and a purling second time into your front P2tog stitch you maintain the same number of stitches!
Genius!!!

If you think you'd like to try it out, but think it sounds complicated, do check out these very handy vids on you-tube - this one from the pattern designer, and then this shows another way of doing the knit into the back of the slipped stitch (using yo instead)

Like I said, genius!! =)
You can see my progress there (the stitch pattern was tricky to catch with the white yarn).
Its knitting up gorgeously thick and warm - and don't we keep getting reminders that we'll be needing that kind of thing soon! (We've got overnight lows of 2C forecast this week in Canberra!)

I still don't have modelled smockie shots - we haven't had a lot of good photo light after work this week =(
What a pain - we're still in daylight saving time and everything!

Oh well, maybe this weekend ;)

besos =)

Comments

  1. oh it's looking delightful Bron. Thanks for the tip on tutorials because I think I would need one.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Have a nice day =)