the crackle low-down

So, remember my plan to cook from my many many cookbooks, at least one new recipe a week? Well, I swear I have been keeping it up with the Sally Wise slow cooker book - I use it at least once a week, sometimes twice. I have heaps of recipe reviews to share - but I fear it might be a bit boring. Perhaps I'll have one big round up post at some stage?

Anyway, as well as collecting books, I think I have mentioned before that I have a relentless urge for magazine purchases too - including the many foody mags available here. I have really tried to cute back on this habit, especially since most of the recipes turn up on taste.com.au anyway.

However, I do allow myself the occasional purchase for a special edition (I just can't say no to all the Christmassy specials!!!), and like my recipe book these volumes are often shelved unused. So, this month, I'm going to make 4 recipes from the Donna Hay kids magazine - starting, of course, with those crackles.


Really, there's probably not a whole lot more to say after yesterday's wrap - these were delicious, different from a traditional crackle, but probably better. Unlike the traditional recipe these are coconut-less, but if you miss it I'm sure they would still work fine if you just added it in with the rice bubbles.

They were super easy to make - just melt together the chocolate, butter and golden syrup, and add the rice bubbles (incidentally, I had no idea you could fit so many rice bubbles into 4 cups worth! ;o)).
I used smaller than cupcake sized patty pan papers, and the recipe made about 50 crackles.

Did I mention they were delicious?

If you'd like to try them yourself, the recipe is available free on the website.

this month I'm cooking from Donna Hay Kids' Magazine

Comments