Brown Owls inspiration :: embroidery

Saturday is our first Brown Owls meet for 2011 (hurrah!) and we're kicking off with embroidery (double hurrah!!)

Embroidery is one of my very favourite crafts - it is so super simple (check out this great beginners' tutorial if you don't believe me!), and the results are really impressive.

As usual, for inspiration I look to flickr first - these pics here are some of my current favourites from the embroidery group. The Feeling Stitchy blog is also always super fun and inspiring!

1. 47 365, 2. February Stitch Along, 3. Embroidery: a tea cup, 4. Dear Little Deer, 5. Tree of Love, 6. Mademoiselle Chatte & Monsieur Chat


There are LOADS of great patterns out there on the internets - on etsy I love a little sweetness (which is where my little red riding hood pattern came from), sew deerly loved and loopsies, plus soooo many freebies online too - check out the free links in the post on the Brown Owls members blog.

oooh I need to start taking better pictures!


But one of the best things about embroidery is that you don't have to stick to patterns! You can embroider just about ANYTHING - think about drawings from colouring and story books, simple rubber stamp designs (there are some really cute ones in scrapbooking supply shops - how adorable would this girl be in embroidered form?! Or the foxes and bike on this page), something you've sketched yourself, or even a photo (check out this tutorial at Kootoyoo) Amazing!



I haven't quite decided what I'll take along yet - I do actually have a stamp somewhere I want to do as an embroidery, but I'm not quite sure exactly where it is. I'm thinking maybe something from my copy of Alicia Paulson's Embroidery Companion book - either making a start on some embroidered farm animals to make a quilt for a friend who is pregnant, or something to go in a quilt for my sewing room =)

Now, just to decide what to bake! =)

xo

Comments