30 minute meals

I haven't done a "Cookin' the Books" post for AGES, even though I have been trying to try new recipes from my many, many cook books, but with a few new books coming into the house for my birthday I decided now was the time to get back into it!

To kick things off, I've got Jamie Oliver in my kitchen!
Jamie's 30-Minute Meals


To be honest, I had seen this book around, and hadn't even thought about buying it - until I saw some of the series on TV over the Easter break. I saw the episode where Jamie makes piri piri chicken with dressed potatoes and Portuguese tarts, and couldn't wait to get my hands on the recipe to try it out myself!

Of course, the 30 minute element adds a pretty irresistible challenge too!



My piri piri sauce didn't quite blend down as nicely as Jamie's, and I think the guy at the deli gave me the wrong cut of chicken (it wasn't very meaty), but I loved the mash (mmm feta!) - and it was so easy (slice your sweet potato in half, then in the microwave for 15 minutes). We used the left over mash to make sweet potato fritters to have with our soup yesterday, and they were delicious too.



And look - Portuguese tarts! These were AMAZING, and super easy!



This was so tasty that I'll definitely give it another go - maybe with skin on chicken breast instead, and giving the piri piri more of a whiz in the blender.

And against the clock? 50 minutes! (but I did have to make the caramel twice after burning the first lot) - another try should get me below 40 minutes, I think ;o)

The recipe is available on the Channel 4 website if you'd like to give it a try yourself!

***

this month I'm cooking from Jamie's 30 Minute Meals

Comments

  1. Yum! I love fetta so much. I think I might give this one a go. Returning the favour, check this dish out http://www.barefootcontessa.com/cookbook_recipes.aspx?CookbookID=32 with herb roasted onions http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/herb-roasted-onions-recipe/index.html . Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been curious about this book. I need to get some more good meals into my repertoire. Maybe this will go on my birthday list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No WAY!!! My MIL brought this book over on Wednesday night and for the first time in ages I am seriously contemplating purchasing a new cookbook. Look yummo btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just bought this book! I;ve seen most of the telly series and thought some of the ideas were great. But I'd rather take 45 minutes and not feel rushed, even after a day at work, than try to push it through in 30. Planning the mushroom risotto this weekend and maybe the mustard chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those tarts look delish!! Have you tried the ones from the Not Quite Nigella blog?? They are lovely and very quick and easy to make, they have become my standby for work morning teas!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Have a nice day =)