Tuesday, April 03, 2012

In April I am reading...

This should really be 'last month I was reading', because for once the reading is actually ahead of the blogging! A week and a bit ago I started reading the Hunger Games trilogy, and I am just loving them!


I hadn't really heard much about the books before, but a couple of weeks ago the trailer for the film was on, and as soon as it started I thought it looked brilliant, and decided I had to get my hands on the books. I almost bought them the next day, but I just had to have these exact covers, so decided to wait it out. A day or so later there they were on sale - and aren't they just gorgeous? =)

I started the first book the Sunday before last, and by that evening I was finished - I can't remember the last time I read an entire book in a day, but have found these so easy and enthralling that I didn't even notice. The second book, Catching Fire, I got through between the train and the plane on the weekend, and now I am trying to pace myself through the 3rd one =)

I think the feeling of the books is very like that of another favourite series of mine - John Marsden's Tomorrow series (which I re-read about 18 months ago) - with a similarly tough, smart, young woman as the main character, fighting to survive in a violent (and a bit gruesome sometimes) situation. And of course written for young people.

If you haven't checked these out, I can't recommend them enough - I really think they are amazing! I'm really looking forward to going to see the movie =) (maybe over the long weekend! =))

Once these are finished I have two options lined up for what to read next - I'm thinking either the Game of Thrones series (which I think everyone except me has read already!) or a couple of the Phryne Fisher books by Kerry Greenwood (author of the Corina Chapman books I have been reading). There has been a series on the ABC of 'Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries' based on the books that looks like lots of fun too. As always, any advice/ recommendations much appreciated!

***

A long weekend is just perfect for getting some reading done! What's on your list? Let us know in the comments, or leave a link if you post on your blog, to let every one know what you're up to and join our bloggy book club for April!!

Enjoy your reading!

xo

4 comments:

  1. Agree, the Hunger Games are great books. Not sure I could stomach a movie though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes - i have heard the movie is slightly less intense, but still pretty gruesome!

      Delete
  2. I loved the Tomorrow When The War Began series too, but I felt so confronted by the film- although I enjoyed it. I am far less comfortable with violence in films than books apparently! Do read the Game of Thrones series, I really enjoyed them and the tv series is brilliant- obviously I cope better with violence when it is a fantasy setting :) I can't wait to read The Hunger Games, but have to wait for my Mother's Day Kindle...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started reading Game of Thrones when it first came out in 1996. Then it took so long between books that I lost the will to live. I do love it when you find series and you fall in love with it and just devour it. Happy days!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Have a nice day =)