Slow cookerpalooza :: caramelised pork

Ok, prepare to be shocked - this weekend's slow cookerpalooza recipe is not from one of the Sally Wise books! Instead, I was inspired by Nicole at Dabbling All Day to try five-spice caramel pork, using this recipe.


I made a couple of changes - like using some nice lean(ish) pork shoulder instead of belly to cut down the fat, halving the amount of sugar and replacing the cup of water with 3/4 cup of stock and 1/4 cup red wine. I started it off on the stove, then into the slow cooker for 3 hrs on high and an hour on low before popping it back onto the stove to finish - so that I could really reduce the sauce right down to nice and sticky.

It was a big hit. The pork was perfectly done so that it pulled apart easily but didn't fall apart too much, and the 5-spice and star anise are some of my very favourite flavours, so I loved it. Served with steamed rice and greens it was just perfect - I'm pretty sure we'll be making this one again!

x

Comments

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Have a nice day =)