In June I am reading...

I started writing this post last week, and even though it's pretty short, I haven't got back to it til now. So it's a bit about what I read in May, and a bit of what I'm planning (hoping) to read in June.

I finished reading the Game of Thrones at the star of the month: WOW! I really really enjoyed it - in fact I thought it was pretty brilliant. Now, a lot of people are familiar with the story either from the book or the tv show, but I have spoken to a few people who are avoiding reading this on account of not being in to 'fantasy'. Of course I have only read the first one, but so far it is much more medieval knights and feasting and jousting and war than elves and ogres fantasy.

It was also quite full on, so I decided to take a little break and read something a litte lighter and quicker. I do love my teen fiction, so I've been reading the current hit dystopian warfare/teen heroine trilogy: Divergent.

The comparison is probably inevitable, so I'm going to put it out there - I don't think this is as good as the Hunger Games. Maybe because I found the main character harder to like/connect with. But it is above the Twilight series on my scale of teen fiction (really not hard to be!), and probably a bit above the Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices series (hopefully the film is much better than the Mortal Instruments film - gosh that was so awful!). While we are talking teen fiction though, I have to give a plug to my all time favourite - Tomorrow When the War Began. If you haven't read the series, and you enjoy this kind of thing, please do. I loved the books as a teenager when they first came out, and just as much on re-reading in my late 20s. I love that they're written by an Australian author, and the more of these dystopian teen heroine series that come out the more I think John Marsden was a genius ahead of his time.

Anyway, I am enjoying these books. I just finished the second (Insurgent), and am looking forward to getting stuck into the third (Alliegent) over the long weekend. There's plenty of action, a bit of romance and some intrigue. And unusually enough for these kind of books there are even some twists and turns that might manage to surprise you

Once I finish with these it will either be on to the next in the Game of Thrones book, or maybe the newly released City of Heavenly Fire - the final installment of the Mortal Instruments series.

I'd love to hear what everyone else is reading - pop a comment below if you'd like.

Happy reading!

 

Comments

  1. I'm reading Zigzag Street by Nick Earls for possibly the 20th time. I love that book. Then if I ever find my Michele de Kretser novel again (was packed up in the reno and now lost) I will commence reading that again. Was halfway when it was packed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished The Elegance of The Hedgehog and loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reading "Revenge wears Prada" and it's boring as bat sh!t. I was reading "Longburn" which I'd gotten from that library but got 100 pages from the end when it had to be returned (couldn't be extended as there was a wait list) - it wasn't bad, but I won't be rushing out to find it to finish it. I think reading GoT has ruined me for all other books... it was just TOO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Have a nice day =)