Friday, February 12, 2010

sew much?

As usual, there is a lot of crafty action going on here, but without anything much getting finished =s

The purple dress that has popped up a couple of times over the past few weeks is almost finished (did I say that last time?), but the very last bit of finishing is on hold while I think over a wee problem.

Relative to my bust (and, well, the rest of me) my under-bust measurement is quite small. Even having sewn a smaller size, and making adjustments for a full bust, the midriff band is just a bit too big.

Being empire-ish, the extra ease makes it look all a bit maternity, but I'm not quite sure yet how to fix it up.

So it has been set aside in favour something else I cut out at the same time - a simple, cute trapezoidy dress with pockets on the front.

Ok, so the picture has come out sideways, and with super weird colours, but you get the idea, yeah? Oh, and there's a much better pic of the fabric here

Again, I'm a bit unsure about the shape (or lack thereof), but I figured I'd give it try, and put in a casing for some elastic either under the bust or at the waist for some shaping if I need.

And of course, despite the lack of finishing of current projects, there's also lots of planning going on.

I picked up this pattern last week, and am planning on sewing up view C or D in this cute red and white fabric (also on sale!) next =)



We're also planning on getting a bit Canadian tomorrow, for the opening ceremony - see you then!

xo

4 comments:

  1. Try making the bodice band narrower from the bottom, and then make the skirt less full by taking in some of the width. That may help! Otherwise I think it looks lovely! The full frocks are all the go this summer.

    Love your new pattern! Looks pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with Michelle - you could completely remove the gathers,a nd make the skirt A shaped
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no idea how to help you with your dress dilemma, but I *did* want to let you know that I happened across a Singer sewing machine sale and got one!!! I'm super excited and its blogs like yours that make it seem do-able to sew my own clothes.

    P.S. the pattern for the top is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The dress looks great, I love the colour! Not sure what to suggest for your problem but it looks like others have some good ideas. I like the other pattern to it would look great in that red floral! By the way loving all the recipes...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment! Have a nice day =)